Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The "Yes" Mom Challenge

So, apparently, I am a little late getting in on this.

And, apparently, I am a little late realizing that I should be doing this already.

Better late than never. Right??

I stumbled upon a blog last night that has inspired and convicted me. It was "The Yes Mom Challenge". It posed the following question:

How often do my children ask me (half-of-a) question, and I say "NO!" before they even finish speaking?

I thought about that for a minute, and being honest with myself, decided that this was the case most of the time. SAD!!!

Kid: "Mom, can I go outside and (Me: "NO!") play?"

Kid: "Mom, can we watch a movie and eat (Me: "NO!") popcorn?"

Kid: "Mom, can we go inside McDonald's and (Me: "NO!") play?"

Kid: "Mom, will you play a game with (Me: "NO!") me?"

These are just a few examples of me, being selfish, and answering "NO!" without really even registering the question. I am not even listening to them....much less considering their request!

It just struck me, how selfish I had become.

None of these requests were extreme...in fact, most were fairly simple. It only meant that my agenda would be interrupted a little, and may create some mess to be cleaned up. But, what could it hurt, really?

Even sadder, the older two kids have stopped asking me to play with them on a regular basis. WOW!!

So, I have determined to be more of a "Yes!" mom, and less of a "NO!" mom. I have determined to listen to my children, and spend quality time with them everyday. I have determined to ask them what they would like to do each day.

This doesn't mean that I would (or should) say "Yes!" to every request...but it does mean that I will consider their requests before automatically saying "NO!"

I invite you to take part in this challenge with me! Let's let our kids dig in the dirt! Let's have a picnic in the living room! Let's drag out the puzzle with 1000 pieces! Let's play with our kids! Let's be less self-absorbed!!! Let's let our kids be kids!!

I used to be a "Yes" mom. I used to spend hours a day, simply playing with my kids. Nine years and three kids have changed that. Somewhere along the way, I forgot what kind of parent I wanted to be; but, I am hoping that I will be able to revert back easily.

So, today, we have played Dominos, Monopoly, had yogurt and fruit for lunch (I originally said "NO!", but decided that it was a healthy option, and allowed it.), and made a game of our chores (The kids really got into this!!)! I was rewarded with smiles and laughter, and memories of a great afternoon. Everyone pitched in on the cleaning, and fun was had by all. The laundry aficionado that I am totally forgot to do any laundry today....but, my kids won't remember that....or probably even know about it at all.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What a great post. I'm the same way-it's just easier sometimes to say no without even really listening to what they are asking for than to actually consider what they want and say yes! I think I'll try this tomorrow! Thanks for the challenge.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete