Friday, July 17, 2009

Monopoly Requires Marital Counseling

Some couples should not play competitive board games. Should. Not. Ever. I dare say, my husband and I are one such couple who should not play board games. Ever.

It all started innocently enough. We were playing Monopoly as a family. Having a great time....laughing at each other's jokes....great conversation. I was pretty much dominating the game, but BJ was a close second. Eden, poor girl, was loo-hoo-hoo-hoo-zing (**channeling Jim Carrey**). Badly. She landed on BJ's wildly developed property, and was pretty much out of money, and all 4 of her properties were mortgaged. She was SOOOOOOO darn cute and upset.....I actually felt bad for her. Then....BJ pointed out that I had enough money to help her out. She should sell me a property for $2000. She looked at me with those sad eyes , and poked out her lip (just enough to make me feel bad without annoying me) and asked if I would buy her $60 property for $2000. I felt bad for her, and wanted her to be able to keep playing...so in a moment of compassion (and completely against my extremely competitve nature), I did it. Which put me down to $900 and some change. And the game went downhill from there.

BJ gained momentum, and was relentless against the kids. Once he had eliminated Lane and Eden (and tricked them into selling him their properties for ridiculously low amounts of money), he won the HUGE pot of money. I am SO not kidding....he played against the 9 and 7 year old as if they were adults, and then made me feel bad if I didn't help them (even saying stuff like "You could still play if Mommy will help you!!)

Needless to say, the game ended, and he won. Fairly....not so much. He played relentlessly...but antagonized me to play compassionately. And then just antagonized me for no reason.

I lost my temper. I am still mad. I will still be mad tomorrow. I will still be mad the next time he suggests a board game.

He did make me laugh when he threatened to call our new pastor to set up marriage counseling.

I guess we aren't a lost cause.

But, no more board games.

1 comment:

  1. LOL. We actually play games pretty well, even helping each other out at scrabble! Monopoly can be a vicious game, though, and we haven't REALLY played it in a long time!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete