Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It's Fun to Stay at the Y.M.C.A.......

So.....I worked out this morning. At..........the Y.M.C.A. On the way home, I was thinking about blogging about the Y.M.C.A, and how it was most certainly not fun to stay there....it is BRUTAL. So, as I am thinking about this, I started trying to remember the actual words to the song. Apart from the chorus...and the beginning phrase of "Young man....", I have to say I came up short.

So......I had to ask my husband what the words were........and what the song was about. So, he told me. And I have to say that I was a little surprised. Then he told me to look it up on Wikipedia if I didn't believe him. So.......................................................

"Y.M.C.A." is a 1978 song by the Village People which became a hit in January 1979. The song reached #2 on the U.S. charts in early 1979 and reached No.1 in the UK around the same time, becoming the group's biggest hit ever. Taking the song at face value, its lyrics extol the virtues of the Young Men's Christian Association. In the gay culture from which the group sprang, the song was implicitly understood as celebrating the YMCA's reputation as a popular cruising and hookup spot, particularly for the younger gay men to whom it was addressed.[1]
The song has continued to remain popular due to its status as a disco classic and gay anthem, even among listeners who are otherwise uninvolved in disco or gay culture.


I have to say that I was surprised. I guess I had never really thought about it. Really??!! Why am I just now hearing about this??!! And....why then, other than the catchy arm motions, is this such a popular song?

But, back to the original purpose of my post.....It is NOT fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A. It is NOT fun to go to the Y.M.C.A. I force myself to go, thinking that one day......maybe.....it will get better. And my abilities have improved.....but I still hate it.

My husband is gym obsessed. He is one of those people that gets up 2 hours earlier than he really has to....just to go to the gym. He runs....and lift weights....and wants to have long conversations about running and lifting weights.....I try to pretend to be interested...because he is important to me, and I should take interest in what is important to him. But, really.......the 5 a.m. wake ups....a little annoying.

So...today, we went to the gym together. (Not at 5 a.m........I haven't seen 5 a.m. since I had babies that got up at that time to be fed...and even then, I saw it through sleepy slits of eyes that were begging to go back to sleep.....not perky eyes that were focused on the treadmill.) After we tortured ourselves at the gym for an hour, we decided to stop for lunch.

At Wendy's.

I asked him...."Doesn't this defeat the purpose?"

He says....." Nope! That's why we workout! So we can eat junk."

Thanks for clearing that up. My guilt was assuaged.

Yes. I did order a Frosty.

And YES! I did dip my fries in it.

6 comments:

  1. Um, so yeah..I totally think it's fun to stay at the YMCA...just got back from there myself...but I had absolutely no idea what that song meant..I don't even know if I've ever really listened to the words besides the chorus...hmmmmmm...crazy! Love Wendy's though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Y for a little over a year but the ONLY reason I went was because I had a workout partner!!
    good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a horribly catchy song. I am singing it right now (not doing the arm movements because it makes it very difficult to type) but I never knew it was about THAT! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, frosty and fries after a workout! I guess you don't have weight to lose like me ;)! I've a Y membership, but it doesn't get used often due to the fact that my Baby Boy screams in the nursery the whole time! I know he'd get over it if I'd just go more often! By the way I knew the band was gay and the song was considered 'gay' but I didn't realize why!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope! I had NO idea. Wowsers. Good for you for working out. I need to. My sister asked if I was pregnant. I'm not. I guess that should tell me something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol! I thought everyone knew what that song was about-I mean, did you ever SEE the Village People? Yep. Flamin. We don't have a Y closeby, so I'm doin Curves, and I hate it too. I've never liked working out, and don't understand people who do!! I probably hate 5am even worse, though-and working out at 5am might just push me over the edge.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete