Friday, August 14, 2009

Five Question Friday Blog Hop

Mama M is hosting a fabulous new Blog Hop on Fridays...Five Question Friday. Five randomly, kooky questions about yourself to be answered and linked to her MckLinky each and every Friday! Sounds like fun, right?

Soooo...if you want in on all the fun, copy and paste the following questions, and use the MckLinky on Mama M's blog!!!


1. What is the most embarrassing thing your Mother-in-law has ever said to you? (Thanks Meghan, for the fun question!)

2. What would you say is your favourite thing about YOU? (I just had to spell favorite with a "u"...I like to pretend I'm British or Australian sometimes...now, excuse me while I use the loo...hopefully there is not a que!)

3. Speaking of "loos", toilet paper roll...under or over?

4. What is your most memorable childhood family vacation?

5. If you could choose one super power, what would it be?



1. What is the most embarrassing thing your Mother-in-law has ever said to you? (Thanks Meghan, for the fun question!)

There is a reason I nominated this question. I could seriously write a novel on this subject. My Mother-in-law is one of those people that lacks sensitivity. She doesn't get her feelings hurt about anything, and she doesn't think you should either. I sometimes wonder if she even knows what feelings are! (And she is also missing that part of the brain that tells you when it is time to SHUT UP!)

Soooooo......my Mother-in-Law has never made it a secret how she feels about how many kids that you (or me....or well....anybody.....because, well, we all know that everyone should share her viewpoints) should "crank out"....as she likes to call it. It's two. Two is the magic number. Especially, if the two you have are a boy and girl. Because, and I quote..."There ain't no more choices." (If I heard this once from her, I heard it 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times!)

Shortly after I "cranked out" baby #3 (and girl #2, if you're counting), she INSISTED that I come to a Mother's Day tea at her church. Now, by shortly, I mean, like less than two weeks. I really didn't want to go. In fact, I said no. She asked again. I said I really wasn't ready to get out and do something like that. SOOOOOOO....she called my husband. Who kind of prodded me to go.

I went to this Mother's Day tea at her very-old-fashioned-Southern-Baptist -Church in the sticks, and many members of my husband's extended family were in attendance. Also present, were about 60 people, many teenagers and young girls, including Eden (who was 4.5) and Ava (2 weeks).

We played an ice breaker/get-to-know you game. Simple game. You were given a random topic, and after you introduced yourself, you had to answer your topic with a word that began with your first initial. And then introduce your daughters/granddaughters/mothers...etc.

My Mother in Law's topic was "something you don't like to do". Easy enough, right? I can think of plenty of things I don't like to do.

She says," Hi. I'm Mary Lou. And I don't like tooooooooooooooooooooooo..........."

(This is where she acted like she couldn't think of anything. People started offering suggestions, such as, mow the grass, make dinner, manage bills...and other totally mundane and dull chores.)

The light comes on. She continues...."MAKE LOVE! I don't like to make love. This is my daughter in law, Meghan, and she doesn't have ANY trouble making love. That's why she's got so many kids."

And her response was met with DEAD SILENCE.

And, that, my friends, is the very last Mother's Day tea I will ever attend.

Blame me?

No, I didn't think so. My husband doesn't blame me either.



2. What would you say is your favourite thing about YOU? (I just had to spell favorite with a "u"...I like to pretend I'm British or Australian sometimes...now, excuse me while I use the loo...hopefully there is not a que!)

Besides the fact that I just OOZE awesomeness!??!!

I think that I am spontaneous. That I can roll with the flow (unless my crazy grandma is here. She morphs me into some kind of tense, uptight, unpleasant, crazy person just waiting to snap!), and have fun with it. Not that I don't believe a clean house is important, and my house is pretty clean (I'm serious!!), it doesn't take precedence over my kids. When they are grown, they will remember all of the fun things that we did together as a family(I hope), and not the strict toilet cleaning, vacuuming, laundry schedule that we could never veer from.

Example from my OWN childhood:

My crazy grandmother would let us spend the night on Friday's (yeah....when I was a kid! I don't go have sleepovers now....), and would spend all day Saturday cleaning. She kicked us out of bed at 6:30 in the morning, because she HAD to wash our sheets AT THAT MOMENT. She used and outdoor broom and a bucket of clorox water, and bleached out her garage every Saturday morning. What!? What's that?! You don't bleach your carport and driveway every week?! Yeah....normal people don't! In fact, I am proud to say that I have NEVER bleached my carport and driveway!!! And, of course, there was the vacuuming, and the bathrooms, and the mopping, and the weeding of the flower beds. No chore ever went undone. Not even when the grandkids were there. Sad. That is what I remember from my childhood about visiting her.

My other grandmother had NO boundaries for us at her house. We could take her good silverware to the yard, dig up some dirt, and use her good pots and pans and tupperwares to cook up a mud pie in the yard. We were allowed to spraypaint stuff, make tents with her bed sheets in the backyard, play with the hose, run through the house wet, make smores over a candle, melt crayons on the stove and make our own candles.....You name it....we did it there.
Her house was still relatively clean. But, not a museum.

Which house do I have the good memories from?

I want my kids to remember FUN. Not necessarily CLEAN.



3. Speaking of "loos", toilet paper roll...under or over?

Definitely OVER. Is there any other way?

And it MUST be Kleenex Cottonelle. My tush is totally spoiled now. No other will do.



4. What is your most memorable childhood family vacation?

When I was 14, we went to Daytona Beach for the week. My best friend got to go with us. We swam and boogie boarded, and just had a great week. It was one of those vacations that you were truly sad it was over. Probably because I wasn't the one footing the bill.



5. If you could choose one super power, what would it be?

I would LOVE to be able to travel time and distance in a split second. Is that considered morphing? Teleporting? Whatever you call it, that would be the gitchiest.



Your turn!! You know you want to!!!

5 comments:

  1. Sooooo very fun...I knew you and I were soul sisters the second I saw you insist on Kleenex Cottonelle (the purple package for us!!)...my college roomie teases me 'cuz I'd always complain and bit** and whine if she brought home Scott's...but Scott's? I mean, come on! You've gotta be higher class that THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! This is a great meme!! Your MIL sounds like a real piece of work! Wow...at church, really? But, I must say, if I thought making love was so awful, I might be that witchy too! Hehe. Was that inappropriate??
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your MIL and mine would get along swimmingly...
    I enjoyed reading yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote you a little comment back on my own blog, but I'll write it here too, so you don't have to go back..
    Anyway, I was gonna comment earlier after i read your post that I have an Edyn/Eden too. What a great name!! I have been noticing more people naming their babies that, so I guess it's getting more popular..bummer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to say it here too! Love this carnival! I came over from Mama M's. This was hilarious reading! I missed this round, but hope to get on board next time...

    Oh, my! I really had a tough time thinking of any embarrassing MIL moments! It sounds like you have a treasure/boat-load of 'em though! :o)

    TP done "over" sounds like the favorite choice on this carnival ride.

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete