Friday, June 12, 2009

A Shoe in the Road

I am positively baffled by the single shoe in the road phenomenom that seems to be plagueing our streets!! Where do they come from? How does this happen? Why is it always the singular shoe? At what point does someone realize that one of their shoes are missing? At that point, do they hold search parties in the street? How do you lose a single shoe while traveling down the road??

Is it thrown in anger? If so, why your shoe?!!

Is it dropped accidentally? If so, why was your shoe off your foot, and hanging out the window?

I really can’t come up with another scenario for this. Maybe it blew out of the back of a truck. But really, I don’t think there are enough people transporting shoe collections in the back of pickups to account for the volume of singular shoes found out on the roadways.

Possibly, I can see that a child could throw a shoe out the window, unbeknownst to the parents. Possibly. My kid will be very, very sorry if that day were to come to pass. They would forever forward be know as "one shoe". That remaining shoe would be their last. (j/k all you do good liberals that take everything literally!)

Besides, the majority of these sightings are shoes that belong to adults. Or the children of the jolly green giant.

I do not typically see many things in the middle of the road. Yes, okay, there is the occasional escaped plastic bag, but I can justify this in my mind. They are disposable items, that catch wind easily. Other than these two items, I can’t think of another item that is sighted so frequently littering the highways and biways!

But shoes??? Come on. There is an abundance of shoes. I believe that in any driving experience, I spot at least one shoe in the street. Just today, I traveled about 1 mile, and I saw a shoe in an intersection. Surely, I am not the only one perplexed by this mystery. I would love to hear other people’s opinions as to where so many of these come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment