Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How Do You Help Someone Who Won't Help Themselves?

I believe that there is a fine line between the "tough love" and the "tough luck" sentiments. Tonight, I am truly struggling with where that line should be drawn. I feel that there comes a time where a person, either mentally, or physically, or financially, has found themselves in such a deep, dark pit, that no matter how hard they try, it has become impossible for them to right themselves. Am I supposed to offer help? Insist they get help? Make sure that they get help? Or simply stand back and watch them struggle?



Is it really for me to judge whether or not they are, indeed, "helping themselves"? I can never really know their intentions, anyway. Any estimations on my part could only be considered judgement. The only actions, or intentions, that I have ANY CONTROL over, are my own.


Which brings me back to this question? What am I supposed to do? Everyone else has written this person off.

I think my answer is here:

Matthew 25:35-40

for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’ “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’


Jesus didn't say to help someone, but only after you have questioned their motivation and their ambitions for helping themselves.

So, if indeed, I were to help this people who repeatedly choose not to help themselves, is that then considered enabling?

What if this person is incapable of handling their own problems? What kind of a person does this make me, that I would stand by and watch this person spiral deeper and deeper into their own deep, dark pit of despair? I am, after all, only accountable for my actions.

So, what would Jesus do?(I know, terribly cliche. But applicable, nonetheless.)

No comments:

Post a Comment