Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Finding My Motivation

Life has a way of getting monotonous.

Rephrase: we allow our lives to become monotonous.

In the last two weeks, I am ashamed to say I let myself get to this place. I started feeling sorry for myself. I threw myself a pretty good little pity party. The reasons are quite silly. So what if my son broke his arm. I should be thankful that it wasn't worse. And that he is in good health, otherwise, and his arm will heal correctly. So what if we live in a new town and we know no one. I have many wonderful friends. Just because they don't live here doesn't mean that they aren't always just a phone call away. So what if my husband is working 75 hour weeks. I should be absolutely grateful that he has a wonderful new job that is providing financial stability for our family. This was a HUGE answer to prayer. A regular paycheck is not a luxury we have been accustomed to.

How quickly we tend to forget our blessings! Why?

In the last two weeks, I have been pretty pathetic. I have skipped the gym entirely, let the laundry pile up, and let the house go. Every night for the last two weeks, as I went to bed, totally disgusted with myself for my lack of accomplishments in my day, I promised myself that I would get up refreshed and attack my day with all the excitement, thankfulness, and fervor it deserved. I promised myself that I would give my children the attention and excitement that they deserve. Starting tomorrow morning. I have been in a rut. And a funk. (I was wondering today why my older two kids' attitudes had stunk the last few days....I guess I shouldn't point out their speck in their eyes until I remove the plank from mine!)

I came home from church tonight, renewed, refreshed, and ready. My house is clean. YAY! That fact alone makes me excited to get up tomorrow and tackle the day.

My motivation is my family. My husband and my three beautiful children. I lost sight of that these last few weeks. I have been too focused on myself and my problems. I took my focus off of God and the blessing that he has so, so graciously bestowed upon us. I lost sight of the things that really matter. Instead, I allowed myself to get sucked into things that are trivial. And most importantly, I allowed Satan to steal my joy!

I think we get sooo tied up in the day in, day out, that we lose our purpose. And our purpose is serving our families. In whatever capacity is needed. And if they need clean underwear, we are serving them through doing the laundry.

Side note: I really think I have found that GREAT church we have been looking for!!!! Really, really, really excited about that!

My hubby just got home from his ridiculously long day! Yay! He worked almost 17 hours today.

No comments:

Post a Comment