Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The DMV: Every Bit as Exciting as I Dreamed!

We arrived at the Department of Motor Vehicles, took a number, and sat down to wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.

My number was called. I procured my 15 (or 5) documents. The lady asked, " Don't you have an updated Social Security Card?"

Well, no, I don't. I'm sure that much is obvious, what with the crinkled, dirty edges, and third-grade signature.

What I did have was the following:

Driver's License
Marriage License
Birth Certificate
Social Security Card (ya know, the dirty, old one)
Lease

She said that she would be unable to process my driver's license without an updated Social Security Card.

So, I have been able to obtain a FL driver's license, 2 mortgages....(and the mortgage company even collected the results of my last pap smear!....ok they didn't, but you know it is a rigorous procedure, including thorough credit reports...which, last time I checked, was done with your social security number!), numerous car loans, insurances, phone services, and utilities. I have completed tax returns for the last 9 years, all with no problems.....and no one has ever requested an updated social security card. Until today.

So, off to the Social Security Administration. And I waited. And waited. And waited.Once I got up to the window, it only took a few minutes. But, it won't be fully processed until midnight. (And I still don't have an updated card. Just a receipt saying that one has been requested.)

I have to go back to the DMV tomorrow. Curses!!

I am so dreading the picture! Why can't they take 6, like a portait studio, and let you pick your favorite?

I told my husband that my name has been officially changed. He was thrilled!! His exact words?

"Oh, good! Now I don't have to feel guilty about last night!"

Romance at its finest!

1 comment:

  1. Cute!! Glad to "see" you again!! I was afraid you got lost...little did I know, you were wasting away at the DMV.

    Phew! Hope the move went well!!

    ReplyDelete